During people's Thanksgiving dinners on November 23, Nintendo sent me an e-mail: “Ludwig: Your Miiverse post history is ready.” This is what we've been waiting for since Miiverse got discontinued a few weeks ago. After all, KoopaTV published a “Miiverse Downloading Your Post History FAQ!” for people to get all of the information they need on this. How consistent was the FAQ to what really happened?
Inside the e-mail is a unique url that leads me to downloading a .zip file to my computer, as Nintendo promised. There are instructions and interesting details:
“-Nintendo Network ID: PrinceOfKoopas-File size: Approximately 32.2 MB-URL expiration date: 12/31/2017
-You will not be able to download the file after the expiration date listed above.-Please do not use a smart device to download and view the file, as the file download will only be supported on a computer.-Depending on your post count, the file may be a few hundred MB or a few GB.-Anyone with access to the URL listed above can access and download your post history. Please be cautious with the URL.”
They didn't mention there would be an expiration date. Also, my file size is significantly less than they promised, even though I have over 500 posts and they're almost all hand-written with screenshots. I was known on Miiverse for making very few posts despite my time spent using Miiverse (0.311 posts per day, or 2 posts a week), but how many shit-posts did people make to get that big a file size of a few GB? Especially since it didn't save your text posts as images in the .zip?
I'll tell you what was — and what was not — included in the file that Nintendo sent. Basically, they give you the assets to recreate your Miiverse profile, including some common assets, so it will look like the main draw of the post downloader: index.html. Looks like this:
|You obviously cannot click on any of the posts to see their comments or communities, and it also excludes things like Follower counts and posts you have Yeahed. It does tell you how many Yeahs and comments your posts have.|
Here is exactly what is in the package miiverse_backup.zip, set up in directory format:
- All of the Miiverse community icons you have made posts in, in .png format
- All of the handwritten (“post art”) posts you have made, in .png format. The Date taken field is when you extracted the .zip
- All of the attached screenshots you have made with your posts, in .jpg format, plus whatever you had saved in your Screenshot Album. The Date taken field is when you made that post, except for the Screenshot Album where Date taken is whenever you extracted the .zip
Speaking of puzzled, I ended Miiverse with 524 posts, and only 514 are included in index.html. Nintendo said some posts would be missing for certain reasons, so here are the ten posts that are missing for me and perhaps why they're missing:
- My April 5, 2013 post asking everyone 17 or older to watch my Let's Play Sexy Poker series on YouTube, excluded because it was deleted as a result of a late-2017 report-bomb for sexually explicit content
- My April 13, 2013 post drawing of the Star of David being embedded in the Triforce, featured as the top picture in this article because it was deleted by the admins
- My June 9, 2013 post calling the state of popular posts in the Rapala Pro Bass Fishing community pathetic. Was deleted by the admins
- My November 24, 2014 post calling the Mario Brothers sadistic murderers. Was deleted by the admins and featured here
- My August 16, 2014 post advertising the KoopaTV Guest-Posting Contest, which was deleted by the admins for marketing. If you're interested in guest-posting, all guest-posts on KoopaTV now contribute to you being able to win our on-going contest, the KoopaTV Loyalty Rewards Program
- My September 19, 2014 post talking about how I got banned from Facebook, which you can read about in full here because it's an epic tale. The post got deleted by that late-2017 report-bomb
- My September 21, 2015 post calling Chrom an idiot for thinking his own name is foreign. Got deleted for bullying, and featured here along with a few of the posts in this list
- My June 10, 2016 post declaring that candidate Donald Trump's E3 2016 presentation would be better than the other presentations during E3. This ultimately turned out to be false. As you might expect, the admins deleted this post
- My October 3, 2015 post asking people to pay attention to politics, featuring best-new-character-of-2016 Paul Atishon from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney — Spirit of Justice. This post was ultimately responsible for me getting banned a second time
- My March 10, 2017 post exposing the CIA's assassination attempt on Waluigi, which you can read about in full here. It got deleted by the Miiverse admins... or perhaps by the CIA itself
When they told us we could download our Miiverse post history, I thought it would just be a bunch of .jpgs in a .zip. You know, screenshots of the posts and attached screenshots programatically generated. I didn't know they would give us an .html file and the assets needed to render it so we could, if we wanted, host our Miiverse profile history somewhere on the Internet as an archive.
I think it's fascinating.
Ludwig doesn't know if sharing his post history URL is a good idea, so he won't unless someone requests it and convinces him it's a good idea. That said, Ludwig has extracted everything from it anyway, so if there is someone specific you want to see, ask away. If you requested your post history, let Ludwig know if you found any cool goodies in it. If you didn't request it, why not?