Right now until the 25th of March, Nintendo is offering an incredible and free offer that you can convert into a purchase-worthy discount: Splatoon 2 has a free, non-barebones demo of Turf War, Ranked Match, and the most important mode of all, Salmon Run. If you don't have Nintendo Switch Online, it comes with its own 7-day trial of it—independent of the already-existing 7–9-day free trial of Nintendo Switch Online.
Why is Nintendo offering this?
- Only one in four Nintendo Switch owners own Splatoon 2, but it was 1 in ~2.7 Wii U owners who owned Splatoon. There's definitely more potential for people to buy Splatoon 2
- Nintendo is on a quest to have more people subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online. That's a strategic goal for them
- This isn't anything new. They did a way-post-launch demo of Splatoon before on the Wii U, though they still called that a Testfire Demo. (That also predicted that Donald Trump would beat Hillary Clinton in the upcoming election)
|The game is better than the official promotional art implies.|
I encourage you to take advantage of this limited-time opportunity. A few tips and caveats...
- Story mode is not in the demo. Story mode/single player, viewed as a tutorial, is how new players are supposed to learn the controls and basic skills that would serve them well on the battlefield
- Use the map feature often in Turf and Ranked to know what's going on and what areas need your attention. It's not available in Salmon Run
- If you hear a Booyah!, please return the Booyah!
- Use a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and set motion controls in the settings menu to your preferred sensitivity setting. Integrating motion controls is far superior than not doing so
While you shouldn't expect much in the way of more updates to Splatoon 2 if you're just now buying it, the game already has more than $60 worth of content. Certainly more than $48. And it's even better if you use the savings to also buy the Octo Expansion! Ludwig hasn't actually downloaded the demo for the purposes of confirming assumptions made in this article, since he already owns the full game and administers the KoopaTV Family Group for Nintendo Switch Online.
Splatoon 2 already has a history of substantial demos, like the demo Splatfest they did.